Established in 2006, Institute of Kashmir Studies (IKS) has the distinction of being an important inter-disciplinary teaching and research centre in the university. It offers the MA Anthropology Course (from 2020 onwards), and conducts research on various disciplines of social sciences with a thrust on the study of society and culture of Kashmir region. The Director of the Institute is a well known Professor of History with an experstise on the regional history and social movements. The Institute is located in the erstwhile Mughal garden called Naseem Bagh within the university campus, and reflects an interesting blend of heritage, history, culture and learning.
- MA Anthropology (2020 onwards)
- MA (Kashmir and South Asia Studies) (till 2017)
- Intregrated PhD
- Kashmir focussed Elective Courses offered for PG Students at the University under Choice based Credit System
- Social and Cultural Systems in Kashmir
- Tradition, Pluralism and Composite Culture of Kashmir
- Governance and Development in India
- Gender and Society
- Language & Literature
- Kashmir Philosophy
- Minorities in J&K
- Media Discourses and Representation
MA Programme Title
Structure of the MA Programme
The programme consists of 4 semesters with 96 credits, completed in two years. In each semester, a student had to obtain a minimum of 24 credits. 22 credits are to be obtained from Core and Discipline Centric Courses offered by the Institute, while the remaining 2 credits can be obtained from the elective courses.
The MA programme is organised into two-year duration comprising of four semesters.
- Bachelors degree under 10+2+3 pattern (Minimum percentage as per university rules for open and reserved categories)
- Bachelors degree in any stream equivalent to the corresponding Indian degree system
The Institute strives to be one of the best teaching-learning and research centers in Social Sciences. In pursuit of its vision the Institute encourages inter-disciplinary perspectives in social sciences with special focus on Kashmir region.
- To help students develop a critical perspective about issues and challenges confronted by the region from multiple lenses.
- To engage with changing socio-political realities of the region and application of knowledge to create a just, syncretic and equitable society.
- Institute strives to impart knowledge rooted in interdisciplinary, rigorous pedagogy and hands-on experience.
- Creation and provision of socially relevant knowledge and high quality education in social sciences.
- Support knowledge creation through strong M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes and Post-Doctoral programme.